The building is named after Fritz Tugendhat, owner of a Brno textile factory, who had this jewel of interwar functionalist architecture built for his family. The villa was built between 1929 and 1930.
The glass-fronted villa, set on a grassy slope, was designed by famous German architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in 1928. Mies was able to utilize exquisite materials and modern technologies of the ealy 20th century. The villa’s steel frame, with floor-to-ceiling windows and slim chrome-plated pillars carrying the weight of the individual floors, made it possible to visually integrate the hall with the garden into a single whole. The building was equipped with furniture designed by the architect himself, and was heated and cooled by an air-conditioning system.
It is currently owned by the City of Brno, which has made it accessible to the public and will carry out a complete renovation. The Villa Tugendhat is described by architecture scholars as a breakthrough work of modern architecture in an international context.
For further information:
www.tugendhat-villa.cz - in Czech and English