HOMEPAGE

About CZ
 
Facts about the Czech Republic
 
Economic facts

 

Trade fairs and exhibitions

 

The Czech Republic hosts a variety of local fairs and exhibitions as well as an array of prominent international trade fairs. The organization of trade fairs and exhibitions in the country has a long tradition dating back to the 19th century. The first exhibition grounds were opened in Prague’s Holešovice for the occasion of the first General World Exhibition in 1891. The event provided an opportunity to showcase the industrial developments of the Czech lands. The architecturally innovative and modern grounds are still used today for exhibitions and fairs. Other interesting fair grounds can be found in cities all over the Czech Republic, including Brno, České Budějovice, Olomouc, Liberec and Litoměřice.

 
 

Prague Exhibition Grounds Holesovice

The oldest Czech fair ground is among the most beautiful in Europe and has been witness to several important events in the history of the Czech nation. Today the Prague Exhibition Grounds, located in the northern neighborhoods of the city, are considered to be one of Prague’s cultural centers.

 The Prague Exhibition Grounds reflect the social and historical development of Prague and the entire Czech Republic. It served for exhibitions of various types, becoming also a center of entertainment, a cultural and relaxation park.For decades the area of the Prague Exhibition Grounds was used for meetings of Prague citizens and visitors to the capital city to attend various cultural and sports events, combining their visit with a pleasant walk in the surrounding Stromovka Park. For the occasion of the General Czechoslovak Exhibition in Prague held in 1999, the exhibition grounds were reconstructed, gained new exhibition pavilions, several theater spaces were built and the possibilities of its utilization were extended.

The area of the Prague Exhibition Grounds is the only “stone” exhibition area in Prague and covers an area of almost 320 000 square meters (of which 20 000 square meters are covered and 10 000 square meters are freely available exhibition space). The exhibition grounds see more than fifty exhibitions and fairs each year, apart from the fashion shows, concerts, banquets, conferences, seminars and company events that are also held on the grounds.

New architecturally modernized halls are being built on the grounds, which should help to boost Prague’s reputation as a city capable of hosting any type of trade fair.

PVA (Prague Exhibition Area)

The Prague Exhibition Area Letnany is owned by the PVA, a.s. trade company, with the capital participation of the capital city of Prague. This new exhibition area is situated in the northern part of Prague near the town roundabout and the exit of the D8 motorway from Dresden to Berlin, and shortly it will be a direct neighbor to the designed final underground stop of the C line in Prague - Letnany. The existing exhibition area was built in 1998 and represents a maximum capacity of 70,000 m² of display area (the first successful event there was the ninth international building fair called FOR ARCH 98). Its urbane and architectonic arrangement complies with the requirements for flexibility of exhibition areas. In addition, the exhibition area has a high-capacity connection to Internet.

Currently PVA offers 36 000 square meters of exhibit area as well as parking space for 4 500 cars. In 2005 fifty events attracting 12 000 visitors were held at PVA.

The grounds at Letnany are part of an ongoing project and will see further construction should Prague ever win the privilege of hosting the Olympic Games.

The area is well suited to host large and important trade fairs held in the capital city of Prague. The basic layout utilizes a total exhibition area of 23,000 square meters, including the main entrance hall. The target size of the covered exhibition area is designed for 117,000 square meters in seven halls, and 72,000 square meters of open-air exhibition areas.

The near-term vision for PVA is to expand the exhibition area to 50 000 square meters (40 000 of which will be covered) and construct administration buildings, display rooms, a hotel and other areas concurrently to the building of the Letňany metro station in the spring of 2008. Emphasis is being placed on the multi-functional nature of the space, which represents and investment of CZK 5.6 billion. The investment is shared between the strategic partner PVA and IMMORENT, Deutsche Messe AG Hannover, Global Capital Finance, Česká Spořitelna and SKANSKA.

Brno Fairgrounds (BVV)

More than 60% of trade fairs are held at the Brno Fairgounds. It is the most significant fair grounds, not only in terms of size but also because of the large fairs that are hosted here. 


The history

At the beginning of the existence of the Brno Fairgrounds, there was an idea to organize an exposition of contemporary culture in honor of the 20th anniversary of the establishment of the autonomous Czechoslovak Republic. Not only for this purpose, permanent and modern display facilities were built. The exhibition took place from May 26 till the end of September 1928 over 30,000 m² , and a record number of 2,700,000 visitors attended. The greatly arranged fairgrounds represented a magnificent work of the functionalist Czechoslovak architecture of the 1920s, and served namely the pre-war Brno in hosting more than 50 exhibitions until 1938. However, international trade fairs were not held in Brno before the war.

In the 1950s, Brno had an opportunity to develop its trade-fair activities. After three exhibitions of Czechoslovakian Mechanical Engineering in the years 1955–57, and after further renovation and completion of the fairgrounds' construction, the first international trade fair was organized in 1959, focused on mechanical engineering. From that date, the history of Brno Fairgrounds' activities moved swiftly. Currently, the area of the Brno Fairgrounds totals 65 hectares and offers 196,600 m² of exhibition space, of which 107,600 m² are in pavilions and 89,000 m² on free areas. Its architecture and location makes the Brno Fairgrounds one of the most beautiful European fairgrounds. In 2000, it was awarded the title of the “Building of the Century”  for its unique architecture.

Since 1991, BVV is a member of the World Trade Centers Association(WTCA), and the E pavilion is the seat of the World Trade Center Brno.

Exhibition Area in Ceske Budejovice

Exhibition activities have a rich tradition in South Bohemia, the roots of which date to the 19th century. As early as 1848, annual fairs were being organized in Ceske Budejovice four times a year. Current activity follows the events held since 1960, primarily regional agricultural exhibitions.

Země živitelka (The Nourishing Earth)

This is the most visited exhibition in the Czech Republic. It is dedicated mainly to agrarian production and mechanization. It consists also of many accompanying programs that make it attractive also for small growers and their families.

Flora Olomouc Exhibition Center


This exhibition area is one of the prominent Czech exhibition organizations. It prepares and procures its own exhibitions and fairs, including accompanying programs. The exhibition area with four pavilions covers a total area of 4,395 m² and is situated in Smetana's Gardens near the historical center of town. In addition, the exhibition center take care of 47 hectares of town parks.

It was built in January 1966, when a budget commission called the Olomouc Exhibition Garden was established upon the decision of the District People's Committee.In 1970, it was renamed Flora Olomouc. Since 2000, the Flora Olomouc Exhibition Center operates as a joint-stock company with 100% capital participation of the town.

 The Liberec Fair Grounds

In 1851 the first exhibition of light industry was held in Liberec, putting the city into the history books as the host of the first exhibition on the territory of what is now the Czech Republic. Along with Prague, Frankfurt, Leipzig and other cities, the northern city of Liberec helped to establish the Union of International Exhibitions. The city saw a boom in the number of exhibits from 1920 to 1930, during which time the Reichenbergmesse association organized twenty exhibitions in Liberec. This success wasn’t repeated until after the Second World War when the Liberec Fair Grounds were opened in 1956.

Currently many important exhibitions and fairs are held in Liberec and the city’s exhibition grounds are used for both local and international exhibitions. The economic and industrial potential of the region is one reason why the city hosts a broad range of specialized exhibitions.

Links

 
Author:
 
Added: 18.01.2010
 
 
 

Related articles

 
Czech companies
 
 

MOIRA – genuinely Czech brand

The brand Moira is the pioneer in the field of producing functional garments with unique qualities for...

 
 
Czech companies
 
 

Beer Nation – Czech Republic

Czechs are a beer nation. They love to speak about beer, and they love to drink beer. The average beer...

 
 
Czech companies
 
 

World-Famous Czech Porcelain

The tradition of porcelain production in the Czech Republic is very long and, similarly to Czech glass...

 
 
Czech companies
 
 

World famous matches from Sušice

Matches packed in boxes with the logo of a key, pipe, roses or scissors were manufactured in the small...

 
Most favourite

History of Czech fine art

What happened in the realm of fine art at the very beginning of the Czech…

Climate

The Czech Republic is a landlocked country located in moderate geographical…

The most significant current discoveries

During the last decade, Czech science has made many revolutionary discoveries…

Czech language

The Czech language belongs to the group of West Slavic languages. From another…