How things work here


Foreigners must newly pay for their waste

photo:  (sxc.hu)

Citizens having temporary residence in the Czech Republic must newly pay for disposal of waste from dustbins at their houses. This amendment of the law about local fees will take effect in January 2013.

The new regulation increases the number of people with the duty of paying the fee for municipal waste and also increases the maximal limit of the fee for gathering and disposal of unrecyclable waste. These fees are paid at the municipality of the person’s or family’s residence.

Municipalities will be able to charge up to CZK 1,000 per calendar year for each person of the household for the disposal of waste from 2013. You will find the precise height of the fee at the websites of your city or village, possibly displayed in the town hall or municipal authority buildings. You should also receive information about the paying procedure in case you are newly moved to the municipality in the course of the year.

According to the Act on Local Fees, the following persons must pay for disposal of waste:
  • physical person with permanent residence in the municipality (obviously also valid for foreigners),
  • physical person with permanent or temporary residence in the municipality (according to the law concerning residence of foreigners on the territory of the Czech Republic) for a time period exceeding 90 days,
  • physical person with temporary residence in the municipality (according to the law concerning residence of foreigners on the territory of the Czech Republic) for more than 3 months
  • physical person with international protection (according to the law concerning asylums) or temporary protection (according to the law concerning temporary protection of foreigners) with legal permission to reside in the city.
Owners of flats and houses without any registered residing physical person must also newly pay the fee for the operation of the system for collection, gathering, transportation, recycling, using and disposal of municipal waste. It thus concerns the owners of cottages, summer residences, recreation objects or apartments in mountain resorts.
Author: Andrea Kábelová
Added: 05.01.2013

Related articles

How things work here

Centre for Integration of Foreigners

The CIC is an organisation helping immigrants to integrate into Czech society.

Leisure time

Theatre for children

The stage is a magical world, and it is attractive for adults and for children, too. Experiences from a...

Making business
Making business

How to open a bank account – Part 1

If you are thinking of spending a longer time working or studying in the Czech Republic, you will need to...

Most favourite

History of Czech fine art

What happened in the realm of fine art at the very beginning of the Czech…


The Czech Republic is a landlocked country located in moderate geographical…

The most significant current discoveries

During the last decade, Czech science has made many revolutionary discoveries…

Czech language

The Czech language belongs to the group of West Slavic languages. From another…