CharlesBridge was founded in 1357 to replace the RomanesqueJudithBridge (of ca.1170). The foundation stone was laid by Charles IV, King of Bohemia and the Holy Roman Emperor, in 1357.
The author of the design was Peter Parler, who also supervized the construction until it was completed in 1402.
CharlesBridge is one of the oldest bridges in Central Europe. Towers protect the bridge on either side. The OldTownTower was erected in the latter half of the 14th century; the lower Lesser Town Tower, from the second half of the 12th century, was refaced in Renaissance style in 1591, the taller Lesser Town Tower comes from the latter half of the 15th century.
The bridge is famous for its 30 Baroque and later statues (M. B. Braun, F. M. Brokof). The original statues have been replaced by copies.
The bridge, connecting the Lesser Town with the OldTown, is 510 meters long and 9 meters wide.
CharlesBridge has been a national cultural monument since 1962.